"The Factories Act 1948 is an Act to consolidate and amend laws regulating labour in Factories. It is a Central Act which is enforced by the State Governments. The Act was last amended in 1987 after the Bhopal Gas Tragedy. The Ministry has prepared a comprehensive proposal for amending the Factories Act which is still under consideration."
- Recommendations / suggestions given by the Conference of Chief Inspectors of Factories
- Recommendations of the Expert Committees
- Need to be in line with various ILO Conventions
- Judgments of Supreme Court / High Courts
- Need for synchronization with Environment Protection Act, 1986 and rules made thereunder.
- These proposals were also discussed in the meeting of the Committee of Secretaries and based on the decisions taken therein, the amendments were further modified.
- The proposed amendments deal with 61 Sections and two Schedules.