The second citizen’s manifesto on Western Ghats has been released by the Save Western Ghat Movement to bring the critical issues afflicting this 1,600 km mountainous stretch along the west coast that is “gateway to monsoons and hotspot of biodiversity”.
The first manifesto released in 2009 had positive impact as it led to formation of MPs Forum on Western Ghats.
Gadgil v/s Kasturirangan reports have brought Western Ghats on the boiling point of political controversy. The 2nd Citizens Manifesto on Western Ghats seeks to put the entire issue into perspective, as much for the candidates seeking elections as the electorates of the region.
We demand the following:
- Western Ghats is declared/protected as Water Towers of South India.
- To stop destruction of natural forests and mining
- Bottom-up process of conservation by empowering Gram Panchayats.
- Hold public hearings on Gadgil and Kasturirangan Reports and avoid undue politicization and spread of misinformation around the reports.
- Halt River diversion and dam building projects in Western Ghats
- Supportive policies are evolved to practice sustainable ecological agriculture and horticulture for a sustainable living.
- GM crops be banned leading to GM Free Western Ghats
- Promote Sustainable Tourism and Alternate Energy that helps build local economies.
There are 32 parliamentary constituencies coming under Western Ghats region from Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu. The activists of Save Western Ghats will campaign in these constituencies impressing upon major political parties as well as candidates to work towards meeting these demands.
We request the candidates to commit towards holistic policies to conserve the Western Ghats through active participation in MPs Forum for Western Ghats in Lok Sabha for reforming the polices that impact the region.
This is the second people’s manifesto is being issued on ecologically important mountain range like Westen Ghats. This is prepared after consulting 150 non-government & research organisations and 9000 people from five states. We hope to get support form all the major political parties contesting from this region.
Issued on behalf of Save Western Ghat Movement
For further information contact: Pandurang Hegde 09448818099 email@example.com
Post a Comment